|We are looking for an entry-level structural engineer for our cold-formed steel department in our Frederick, MD office. The Engineer is responsible for entire project cycle to include design, development, and project completion. The Engineer will prepare their engineering analyses for review by supervisor. Teamwork and solid client relationships are keys to success as an Engineer.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Prepare engineering analysis of projects to include: preliminary design and calculations
- Prepare and interpret blueprints, schematic drawings, layouts and other visual aids
- Manage construction document printing process
- Manage project issues
- Review and critique proposed changes to engineering standards, policies, or details
- Review development plans for compliance with adopted engineering standards and good engineering practices
- Study contracts and scope of work for own projects
- Familiarize self with quality control procedures
- Study comments provided by supervisors and incorporate into future projects
- Deliver projects within established time periods
- Respond to comments given by supervisor
- Handle multiple projects simultaneously
- Familiarize self with and select appropriate standard details for projects
- Markup, Layout, and Redline standard details for simple projects
- Work in group under Project Manager
- Review specs for projects on which you are working
- Construction Administration (CA) on simple projects
- Observe CA on own projects
- Study contracts and scope of work for own projects
- Other duties as assigned
This job has no direct supervisory responsibilities. However, the Engineer will be required to direct drafters on their own projects and provide supportive and instructional feedback to CAD designers.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
EDUCATION and/or EXPERIENCE
Must hold a bachelor's degree in civil engineering or a related field and 1-5 years of design experience. An EIT license is preferred.
- Ability to read and interpret documents such as safety rules, operating and maintenance instructions, and procedure manuals
- Ability to write routine reports and correspondence
- Ability to speak effectively before groups of customers or employees of organization
- Work requires advanced math skills, special relationship abilities, and the ability to understand "abstract" principles behind math
- Ability to apply concepts such as fractions, percentages, ratios, and proportions to practical situations
- Produce adequate, understandable, organized calculations
- Prepare accurate calculations for all components on projects with supervision
- Perfect hand calculations and utilize computer programs to double check and enhance your work
- Ability to solve practical problems and deal with a variety of concrete variables in situations where only limited standardization exists
- Ability to interpret a variety of instructions furnished in written, oral, diagram, or schedule form.
- Knowledge of applicable federal, state and local building codes and safety laws
OTHER SKILLS AND ABILITIES
- Work requires travel to meetings, site visits, and inspections. This requires the possession of a valid state driver’s license within 60 days of employment.
- Work requires willingness to work a flexible schedule
- Inform team leader when client asks you to do work outside of scope
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to sit. The employee frequently is required to walk; use hands to handle or feel; reach with hands and arms; and talk or hear. The employee is occasionally required to stand. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, and ability to adjust focus. The employee may also be required to climb ladders or steps while on a site visit.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Working conditions are normal for an office environment. The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate. Evening and weekend work may be required. Work requires local travel. While on a site visit related to this job, the employee is occasionally exposed to varying heights, loud noise, moving mechanical parts, fumes or airborne particles, toxic or caustic chemicals, and vibration.
Apply online at http://careers.adtekengineers.com/careers. ADTEK Engineers offers competitive salaries and benefits including medical, dental, vision, paid time off, holidays, and retirement. We conduct a pre-employment background investigation and are a drug-free workplace. EEO Employer F/M/Veteran/Disabled.